More and more people are deciding to run background checks on people they become close to, and quite rightly so. Doing so can protect them from accidentally becoming close to someone who has a violent past, or a history of defrauding and other serious crimes. As a result of this rise in popularity, however, it is now also very easy to find numerous free criminal background checks providers online. The problem with this, however, is that quite a few of them are actually very poor services. So what should you look for?
What to Look for in Free Criminal Background Checks Providers
A good criminal background check provider should, at all times:
- Comply with all relevant federal laws but also any local and state legislation in place in relation to privacy and background checks.
- Make privacy and data security their utmost concern.
- Offer full background check services. It is unlikely that all of these services will be free, but you should be able to purchase additional checks if they are available.
- Ensure that you know exactly how long it will take to complete a background check and what could cause delays. They should also make sure that, if a delay does occur, you are kept up to date about this and they will do all they can to expedite things.
- Has all the available technology so that the entire process can run seamlessly.
- Be certified with various independent organizations and governing bodies to demonstrate they can be trusted.
- Have received numerous positive reviews from others who have requested background checks and who have been happy with the results.
- Have obvious expertise and experience to ensure their background check results are of the highest accuracy.
Why These Things Matter
There has been a rise in the number of people requesting the opportunity to view arrest records and mugshots. They are legally entitled to do so, as these documents and records are publicly available with the arresting authority. However, now that the world is online, those people hope to be able to find information much further outside of their geographical location, thereby ensuring they do not accidentally become close to a known criminal from a different jurisdiction.
That, in itself, is perfectly acceptable. What isn’t acceptable, however, is that there are online businesses who have taken advantage of this. They now advertise as offering free background checks but then often present the searcher with arrest records in their own name and then require payment to have those records removed. It is incredibly important to be mindful of this. Often, the records they hold are inaccurate and even made up, but they look completely real and could, therefore, have a significant negative impact on your own life. By looking for the above eight pointers, you will ensure that the company you are dealing with is legitimate and genuine, thereby protecting your own data while also being sure that the information you obtain is valid.